Connect with us

Aviation

France Shuts Down Israeli Defense Display at Paris Airshow, Sparks Tensions

Published

on

France Shuts Down Israeli Defense Display at Paris Airshow, Sparks Tensions

Paris, June 17, 2025 – The Paris Airshow opened with controversy as French authorities shut down the main Israeli defense booth after the company refused to remove offensive weapons from its display. The sudden move shocked the Israeli delegation and raised diplomatic tensions between France and Israel.

Smaller Israeli stands without weapons remained open, but the main booth—run by the Israeli Ministry of Defense—was closed. France said displaying attack weapons at an international public event was unacceptable. However, Israeli officials said the items had already been approved in advance by the French.

Israel’s Defense Ministry called the decision “outrageous and politically motivated,” suggesting it was done to protect French companies from competition. They also claimed that the move was unfair and targeted Israeli technology, which has been gaining contracts in Europe.

Boaz Levy, CEO of Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), said the black curtains used to block the booth reminded him of times when Jews were separated from society in Europe. Legal action has reportedly been filed against the decision.

Two U.S. Republican politicians attending the event also criticized France. Governor Sarah H. Rubin Sender called the action “absurd,” and Senator Katie Britt said it was “shortsighted.”

A source involved in organizing other booths told Reuters that setting up at the airshow can cost up to $5 million, including shipping, staff, and setup costs. The Israeli side said they were caught off guard and informed of the shutdown only around 6:30 p.m. on the first day.

Some in the Israeli delegation accused French officials of using political excuses to block competition. “If you can’t beat them in technology, just hide them,” one official said, pointing to Elbit Systems’ recent defense deals in Europe.

Airshow organizers said they are trying to help both sides find a solution. The French government said the booth could reopen if Israeli companies follow event guidelines, but as of now, there is no sign of it reopening.

The incident has overshadowed the opening of the Paris Airshow, already under a somber mood following a recent Boeing crash.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2014-2021.Jettline Marvel inc. (India, Dubai, London & Germany)