Latest News.
Philippine military plane crashes, 17 dead, 40 rescued
On Sunday, a Philippines Air Force plane carrying troops crashed on landing in the country’s south and burst into flames, killing at least 17 people.
The Lockheed C-130 transport plane crashed at Patikul in Sulu province, in the archipelago nation’s far south, where the army has been fighting Islamist militants from the Abu Sayyaf and other factions for years.
“So far, 40 wounded and injured people have been rescued, and 17 bodies have been recovered; rescue and recovery operations are still ongoing,” Defence Minister Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement, adding that 92 people were on board.
According to military chief Cirilito Sobejana, the plane “missed the runway while attempting to regain power.”
Colonel Edgard Arevalo, a military spokesman, said there was no indication of an attack on the plane, but that a crash investigation had not yet begun and that efforts were focused on rescue and treatment.
Images from the scene showed flames and smoke pouring from wreckage strewn among trees, while men in combat gear milled about. A massive column of black smoke rose into the sky.
According to Sobejana, the plane crashed a few kilometres (miles) from Jolo airport at 11:30 a.m. (0330 GMT) and was carrying troops.
“We are currently caring for the survivors who were immediately transported to the 11th Infantry Division station hospital in Busbus, Jolo, Sulu,” he said.

