In this article, we’ll talk about some of the New helicopter’s qualities that the American Army has chosen as its replacement for the Black Hawk helicopter.
No 1, It will replace the Black Hawk helicopter.
For the long-range helicopter for the United States Army, the bell V280 has been shortlisted. as confirmation of it comes.
For the Future Vertical Lift (FVL) program of the United States Army, Bell and Lockheed Martin are creating the Bell V-280 Valor, a tiltrotor aircraft.
The Black Hawk helicopter will be replaced by this one. Since 1979, almost 4000 helicopters have been constructed and are now being used in the United States. The S70 is the latest modified variant of this helicopter.
This helicopter serves a variety of purposes for US defense, and it has also seen action in numerous conflicts. The Black Hawk will be replaced by the New V280 in the upcoming years.
2. The top speed is 280 hence the name is V-280.
The Joint Multi-Role Technology Demonstrator Phase was launched for the program in 2013, and the US Army was chosen for it. The helicopter was developed in conjunction with Lockheed Martin, and it has consistently demonstrated scientifically sound programmatic and goal-oriented performance.
The V-280 is built for a top speed of 300 knots, or 556 km/h, a cruising speed of 280 knots, or roughly 520 km/h, a range of 2,100 nautical miles, and a combat range of 500 to 800 nmi. Maximum takeoff weight is anticipated to be around 30,000 pounds or 14,000 kg.
3. It has significant improvement over the older V-22 Osprey tiltrotor
The engines are kept in position while the rotors and drive shafts tilt, which is a significant improvement over the older V-22 Osprey tiltrotor. In the case of an engine failure, both prop rotors can be driven by a single engine thanks to a driveshaft that passes through the straight wing. Retractable landing gear, a triple-redundant fly-by-wire control system, and a V-tail design will all be features of the V-280.
The V-280 will feature a four-person crew and be able to carry up to 14 soldiers. With two cargo hooks, it can raise 10,000 lb or 4,500 kg. M777A2 howitzer while traveling at a speed of 150 knots which is 280 km/h or more. The UH-60 Black Hawk medium-lift helicopter’s fuselage is aesthetically similar.
4. It can be an attack helicopter.
Bell and Lockheed claim that an AV-280 version may launch rockets, missiles, and even miniature unmanned aerial vehicles front or aft without rotor interference, even in forward flight and cruise modes with the rotors facing forward. It will be a modern helicopter that is equally recognizable as the Chinook.
5. Difference between the Bell V-280 vs Black Hawk UH 60
- Each helicopter needed a crew of four to operate.
- The Bell can accommodate 14 soldiers, while the Blackhawk can accommodate 11 soldiers or 6 stretchers.
- Bell is 50.5 feet long, while the black hawk is 64 feet.
- The bell weighs 8200 kg when empty, while the Blackhawk weighs 5675 kg.
- Blackhawk has a General Electric turboshaft engine, whereas Bell is powered by two Rolls-Royce turboshaft engines.
- Bell has a maximum speed of 320 mph (520 km/h), a combat range of 1,480 km, and an operating range of up to 3,900 km. Its service ceiling can reach 6,000 feet.
- Black Hawk’s maximum cruise speed is 294 km/h, its maximum combat range is 590 km, and its maximum ferry range is approximately 2221 km. Up to 19000 feet of service ceilings are provided.