What is the Boeing P-8I in the Indian Navy used for?
Description and Purpose
The P-8I is a long-range anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft capable of broad-area, maritime and littoral operations. The P-8I is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy.
This military derivative of the Next-Generation 737-800 combines superior performance and reliability with an advanced mission system that ensures maximum interoperability in the future battle space.
The Indian Navy is the first international customer for the P-8. Boeing signed a contract Jan. 1, 2009, to deliver eight long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft to the Indian Navy. Boeing has delivered four P-8I aircraft to the Indian Navy and will deliver the remaining four by 2015.
|Propulsion:||Two CFM56-7 engines providing 27,300 pounds thrust each|
|Wing Span:||37.64 meters|
|Maximum Takeoff Gross Weight:||85,139 kilograms|
|Speed:||490 knots (789 km/h)|
|Range:||1,200+ nautical miles, with 4 hours on station (2,222 kilometers)|
The P-8I was procured from the US for the following duties.
- Long range patrolling of the Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea.
- To carry out anti-submarine warfare
- To carry out anti-ship warfare
Some of the special feaures of this plane are (info by Quora )
- The P-8I has the ability to fly at an altitude of 50 m and attack submarines using torpedoes. It detects them by dropping sonobouys.
- It can carry out 6 hour missions at a distance of over 2200 km from base.
- It can carry 4 harpoon missiles for attacking enemy warships.
- It has an internal weapons bay which allows it to carry around 8 Mk54 torpedoes to attack submarines.
- Its turbofan engines are very silent compared to turboprop powered aircraft. This ensures that submarines cant detect its presence above them.
- It has a Magnet Anomaly Detector boom at the rear which is useful in detecting submarines in shallow water by measuring the disturbance in the earth’s magnetic field caused by the movement of a large metallic submarine.
- Many critical US components have been replaced by Indian ones